Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I Am the Mountainy Singer Joseph Campbell

Love Joseph Campbell's work, so I was glad to do this one for myself. 
 
 Joseph Campbell I Am the Mountainy Singer 
 
 
 
 
 
Joseph Campbell I Am the Mountainy Singer
 
I AM the mountainy singer--
The voice of the peasant's dream,
The cry of the wind on the wooded hill,
The leap of the fish in the stream. 
Quiet and love I sing--
The carn on the mountain crest,
The cailin in her lover's arms,
The child at its mother's breast. 
 
Beauty and peace I sing--
The fire on the open hearth,
The cailleach spinning at her wheel,
The plough in the broken earth. 
 
Travail and pain I sing--
The bride on the childing bed,
The dark man laboring at his rhymes,
The ewe in the lambing shed. 
 
Sorrow and death I sing--
The canker come on the corn,
The fisher lost in the mountain loch,
The cry at the mouth of morn. 
 
No other life I sing,
For I am sprung of the stock
That broke the hilly land for bread,
And built the nest in the rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment